14 April 2013

My Week in Books


This week I posted reviews of The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan and A Greyhound of a Girl by Roddy Doyle. I also had the first of a new series of guest reviews from some of my teen students with Geek Girl by Holly Smale up first.

I also have finished, read or started four novels. I finished the magnificent The Marlowe Papers by Ros Barber which has taken me a couple of weeks to finish as it's a novel to really invest time and concentration in. I found I much preferred reading it in long chunks than in ten minute quiet moments so I saved it for a couple of really long reading sessions so I could really get involved in the staggeringly beautiful writing - it had me giggling in pleasure at times at how well Barber puts words together. I really hope it makes it onto the Women's Prize shortlist on Tuesday.

I also read Patrick Ness' new adult novel, The Crane Wife which more than lived up to expectations. I'm a big fan of Patrick's young adult novels and whilst this is very different is still has Patrick's wonderful, uplifting way with words. Whimsical and melancholy , it's inspired by a Japanese folk tale and captures people in all their confusion, perfectly.

I just finished this morning The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion - a book I've been looking forward to for a while. I read it very quickly - it is very enga
ging and likeable and I really enjoyed reading something lighter and fun - although it's certainly no worse off for that and has plenty of more contemplative moments. It reminded me of
Q by Evan Mandery and Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore - celebrations of love and life and people.

I also started The Forrests by Emily Perkins, which is currently on the Women's Prize longlist. I'm about a quarter of the way through and I'm still making my mind up - I started it before The Rosie Project and got sidetracked by that but I'm giving it my full attention now.

I also added three books to my wishlist: The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer, The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence and Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight.

Our Carnegie Twitter shadowing group is also carrying on and gathering momentum - I've thoroughly enjoyed doing this. Twitter has been absolutely wonderful in keeping me connected with home and with wonderful book people whilst I'm in Thailand and #tweetckg is a particularly fun part of this, so thank you to everyone who gets involved! You can follow or join in with the shadowing by looking out for the #tweetckg hashtag during our discussions on Wednesdays. Have a look at the schedule here: http://acaseforbooks.blogspot.com/2013/03/ckg-twitter-shadowing-schedule.html This coming week we're discussing In Darkness by Nick Lake, a review of which I'm working on at the moment and am hoping to have up before Wednesday. You can also look at the collated discussions on Storify, here's a link to this week's excellent discussion of Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner: http://storify.com/acaseforbooks/tweetckg-maggot-moon-by-sally-gardner

In other news, Matt Haig debuted the trailer for his new book, The Humans and I'm in it! You can watch it here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX8V2OFHHbQ&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment